ISMP accepts nominations for this prestigious award in the following categories:
(See nomination process below before submitting a nomination)
In addition to the above categories, ISMP can select a variety of other individuals or groups each year to receive an ISMP CHEERS AWARD. These internal nominations are based on a demonstrated commitment of the nominee(s) to medication safety. Previous award categories have included the Lifetime Achievement Award, Business/Industry and Corporations, Academic Initiatives, and International Individuals and Groups.
Past recipients of the ISMP CHEERS AWARD have:
- Exhibited exceptional efforts to improve patient outcomes and prevent patient harm related to medication use
- Selected safety strategies which:
- Demonstrate shared accountability1 in their ongoing medication safety improvement efforts
- Use high-leverage2 safety strategies to reduce harm
- Are reliable and sustainable over time
- Instituted and operationalized safety improvements over the last consecutive 12 months
ISMP CHEERS AWARD Nomination Process
Please review the following nomination guidelines prior to completing the nomination page below:
Nominations are currently closed
- The current nomination submission period is 3/31/2016 through midnight, 9/9/2016
- Self nominations are accepted and encouraged
- Nomination submissions can be made in only one category per year
- Nominations from outside the United States are accepted
- All nominations must be submitted electronically through this website. Click here for instructions on how to submit a nomination electronically.
- Signed Leadership and Interdisciplinary Commitment declarations (as applicable) must be mailed to ISMP. Declarations must be postmarked no later than the nomination period described above.
- Nominations will only be accepted in one of the three categories (Individuals or Small Groups; Healthcare Organizations; or Professional Organizations or Group Collaboratives)
Nomination submission materials must follow the guidelines as outlined in each respective category
- The narrative description submitted as part of the nomination must be limited to seven (7) double-spaced pages
- Supplemental attachments (e.g., Failure Mode and Effects Analysis [FMEA] results, Root Cause Analysis [RCA] findings, internal newsletters, PowerPoint presentations, measurements) that serve to strengthen the nomination are encouraged. Submissions are limited to five (5) supporting documents.
- Electronic submission of all supplemental attachments/supporting documents is required.
ISMP CHEERS AWARD Selection Process
The following selection process will occur at the end of the submission period:
- An initial review by the ISMP CHEERS AWARD Selection Committee will be performed to determine nomination completeness, accuracy of category selection, and suitability for the award
- The ISMP Board of Trustee’s Nomination and Awards Subcommittee and three external experts (e.g., previous ISMP Lifetime Achievement Award winners or ISMP clinical advisors) will review applications approved by the ISMP award selection committee.
- Recommendations for award recipients will be presented to the full ISMP Board of Trustees at the designated quarterly meeting
- The ISMP Board of Trustees will vote on the final selections as recommended by the subcommittee
- Nominees will be notified in writing of the Board’s final decision by 10/15/2016 12:00:00 AM
1Shared accountability — Accountability that is equally shared among all healthcare stakeholders. The effort lies not in performing perfectly, but in identifying safety problems, implementing system-based solutions, and inspiring and embracing a culture of safety. ISMP Medication Safety Alert; August 8, 2001.
2Leverage is a small, well-focused action that can sometimes produce significant, enduring improvements, if applied in the right place. Senge, 5th Discipline, 1990.