Medication Safety Alert! May 9, 2019
In this week's issue:
- As Approval of Medical Cannabis Spreads State by State, Product Labeling Improvements Are a Must
- Payer-driven biosimilar requirements: New risks in patients with cancer and chronic diseases
- Sidebar: Example of labeling issues with medical cannabis
- Fasting during Ramadan and safe drug administration
- A mitoMYcin-mitoXANTRONE mix-up
Problem: Anecdotal support, public opinion, and state laws in the US are outpacing scientific research involving medical marijuana, more professionally known as medical cannabis. Medical cannabis differs from the street product in that the plant must be reliably grown and handled in a manner that resembles good manufacturing practices. This allows growers to assay and establish the products’ contents with the intent of passing that information on to dispensaries and patients. However, lack of federal regulation has allowed for heterogeneity of state programs, yielding a wide variety of...