Your Reports at Work
Error reporting, analysis, and education are essential to identifying and preventing future safety risks in the healthcare community. When you send a medication error report to ISMP, you are driving change in both the US and abroad. As the world’s most respected organization focused on safe medication practices, ISMP is seen as the preeminent source of information and guidance on medication errors and minimizing medication safety risk.
How Many Patients Will You Protect Today?
Your reports will:
- Stimulate numerous improvements in product design
- Look- and sound-alike name changes (e.g., Brintellix to Trintellix, Kapidex to Dexilant, Reminyl to Razadyne, amrinone to inamrinone, Losec to Prilosec)
- Improvements to look-alike product packaging and labeling
- Improvements to medication-related devices (e.g., set-based free flow protection)
- Influence creation and revision of practice, public policy, and regulatory standards
- The ISMP Targeted Medication Safety Best Practices for Hospitals
- The Joint Commission’s National Patient Safety Goals (NPSG)
- Removal of the apothecary system of measurement from the United States United States Pharmacopeia National Formulary (USP-NF)
- Nationwide effort to remove potassium chloride concentrate for injection from all patient care areas
- Serve as an early warning system to alert the healthcare community