Safe Medication Management Fellowships
ISMP Fellowships are a challenging and rewarding experience offering a clear enhancement to career growth. ISMP Fellows have a unique opportunity to make a tangible difference in medication safety, and find new medication safety opportunities in healthcare systems, regulatory agencies, the pharmaceutical industry, and ISMP. Graduates of the program have been sought for employment in medication safety positions in healthcare systems, regulatory agencies, the pharmaceutical industry, and ISMP. After their year with ISMP, Fellows are well equipped to become leaders in the fight to prevent medication errors and adverse events, regardless of the practice area they choose.
ISMP’s Safe Medication Management Fellowship, sponsored by Baxter International Inc. and Express Scripts Foundation is a one-year program beginning each summer. The Fellowship program is based in ISMP’s office located in Horsham, PA. For over two decades, ISMP Fellows have gone on to make major contributions to medication safety worldwide.
ISMP International Fellowship
ISMP’s International Medication Safety Management Fellowship is a one-year program that will commence July 2020. The Fellowship is based in ISMP’s office located in Horsham, PA, and will involve both domestic and international travel. The Fellow will have the opportunity to be involved in global medication safety, address worldwide safety issues, and help increase global reporting of medication errors.
The FDA/ISMP Fellowship is a joint effort between ISMP and the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, Office of Surveillance and Epidemiology, Division of Medication Error Prevention and Analysis (DMEPA). The FDA/ISMP Fellow spends six months at ISMP in Horsham, PA, and six months at the FDA in Silver Spring, MD. This Fellowship provides a perfect opportunity to gain valuable regulatory experience and learn about the most current approaches to advancing medication safety and error prevention.
- US citizenship or a valid US work visa
- Applicants for the ISMP International Medication Safety Management Fellowship must be a US citizen or have official documentation to remain in the US for the duration of the Fellowship and to travel internationally
- Healthcare professional with at least one year of postgraduate clinical experience
- Pharmacists and physicians who have completed a residency program and nurses with risk management, quality improvement, or patient safety experience are eligible to apply
- Students who have not worked at least one year as a pharmacist, nurse, or physician are not eligible to apply
- Additional requirements for the ISMP International Medication Safety Management Fellowship:
- Applicants must have an advanced degree in healthcare, at least 1 year of experience in a clinical role in an acute care setting, and be seeking a long-term career at an international level with a focus on medication and patient safety.
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Ability to relocate to the Horsham, PA, area (near Philadelphia) and/or Silver Spring, MD area (near Washington, DC) if applying for the ISMP/FDA Fellowship
- Dedicated individual with a strong commitment to improving medication safety, the ability to work in a fast paced and often-changing environment, and a high comfort level with working independently or in a collaborative process
How to Apply
Applications for the 2020-2021 Fellowships are closed.