Safe Medication Management Fellowships
Online application for the 2021-2022 ISMP Fellowships is now available! Click here to apply.
Application deadline for all Fellowship Programs is March 31, 2021.
ISMP Fellowships are a challenging and rewarding experience offering a clear enhancement to career growth. ISMP Fellows have a unique opportunity to make a tangible difference in medication safety, and find new medication safety opportunities in healthcare systems, regulatory agencies, the pharmaceutical industry, and ISMP. Graduates of the program have been sought for employment in medication safety positions in healthcare systems, regulatory agencies, the pharmaceutical industry, and ISMP. After their year with ISMP, Fellows are well equipped to become leaders in the fight to prevent medication errors and adverse events, regardless of the practice area they choose.
ISMP’s Safe Medication Management Fellowship is a one-year program beginning each July. The Fellowship offers healthcare professionals the unparalleled opportunity to learn from and work with some of the nation's top experts in medication safety. For over two decades, ISMP Fellows have gone on to make major contributions to medication safety worldwide. The current 2020-2021 ISMP Safe Medication Management Fellow is supported by Baxter International Inc.
ISMP International Fellowship
ISMP’s International Medication Safety Management Fellowship is a one-year program beginning each July. The Fellow will have the opportunity to be involved in both US and international medication safety initiatives, as well as to help address medication safety issues on a national and global level. The current 2020-2021 ISMP International Medication Safety Management Fellows are supported by Baxter International Inc and Novartis, Name Creation & Regulatory Strategy.
The FDA/ISMP Safe Medication Management Fellowship is a joint effort between ISMP and the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, Office of Surveillance and Epidemiology, Division of Medication Error Prevention and Analysis (DMEPA). The FDA/ISMP Fellow spends six months with ISMP, and six months with the FDA. This Fellowship provides a perfect opportunity to gain valuable regulatory experience and learn about the most current approaches to advancing medication safety and error prevention.
Candidate Qualifications for All Fellowships
- Legally eligible to work in the United States (ISMP does not offer visa sponsorship)
- Healthcare professional with at least one year of postgraduate experience working in a healthcare setting
- Pharmacists and physicians who have completed a residency program and nurses with risk management, quality improvement, or patient safety experience are eligible to apply
- Students who have not worked at least one year as a pharmacist, nurse, or physician are not eligible to apply
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Dedicated individual with a strong commitment to improving medication safety, the ability to work in a fast paced and often-changing environment, and a high comfort level with working independently or in a collaborative process
- Relocation and travel requirements will depend on the state of the COVID-19 pandemic
- Additional requirement for the FDA/ISMP Safe Medication Management Fellowship: Applicants must have received their degree within the last sixty (60) months (5 years)
How to Apply
Click here to apply for the 2021-2022 ISMP Fellowships! Application deadline for all Fellowship Programs is March 31, 2021.